Monday, November 9, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things

We have been so blessed and have received some truly amazing things for Haven. Some of my favorites have been things that people have made - it is incredible how talented some of our friends and family are.

Haven has three gorgeous handmade blankets - one from Benton's 6th grade teacher, Judy Major, one from my mom's friend, Debra Sepp, and one from my Grandma Gladys. My Grandma Lillian made booties for her future great-grandchildren before she died in 2002. I had no idea she had done this, so you can imagine how special of a gift that was to receive at my shower. A neighbor of ours also made a pair of adorable white booties for Haven - she could sell them they are so perfectly cute.

The one thing I am still in total awe about is this one:
My best friend from high school, Simon, made the chair and sewed the cushions completely on his own. I was totally surprised and could not love it more! It is so detailed and perfect - truly A-MAZ-ING. To make it even more special, he asked us to write a letter to Haven that he has tucked away under the seat that she can some day take a piece of the wood off to read it. Words cannot describe how special this chair is to me and Benton (and will be to Haven).

This is not handmade by anyone we know, but the cradle is where I slept as a baby. My niece, Emily, used it as well and we will continue to pass it through the family.
I slept in the cradle because I did not sleep in this moses basket. However, my dad, his three sisters, my brother and sister, Emily, and all of my cousins slept in the moses basket as babies. (I have a cousin that is a week younger than me who slept in it which is why I didn't...tear.)
And last but not least - the chandelier. It has no sentimental value, hasn't been passed down, but the blood, sweat, and tears that Benton put into getting it up and working makes it one of my favorite things. He spent an entire Saturday afternoon frustrated with this thing, but it totally makes the room and I appreciate his determination in getting it up and working!

2 comments:

Justin and Allison said...

I love it all. I am so impressed at Simon's hard work.

Kate said...

Sending some prayers your way for a safe and healthy delivery today or tomorrow!! I'm so excited for y'all!