Friday, July 23, 2010

Tejas Trail

Tejas Trail was the theme for Vacation Bible School at PCBC this year. I volunteered to teach Twos-2 (which means my kids were three or almost three because of the way promotion works) for a week. Haven got to go too...and it was a whip for both of us!

I wanted to teach kids older than Haven so it would be a learning experience and boy was it! We had 18 kids and four teachers and it was non-stop for 3.5 hours. My kids had a lesson, snack and potty, playground time, ball/theme room time, music, arts/crafts, snack, and play time. The hardest part of the day was corralling them from one room/activity to the next.

Haven was so wiped because she wasn't getting a nap before we left and only slept two out of the four days we were there. (We missed Friday because my precious friend's mom passed away, so I went to the funeral instead of VBS.) On Monday she fell asleep nursing, but woke up as soon as I walked out of the nursing room. On Tuesday she fell asleep nursing and slept through me crossing the hall to her room and putting her in a crib. Her teachers said she slept there for 30 minutes and then hung out in the crib by herself for 30 minutes. On Wednesday she didn't sleep at all at VBS, but she fell asleep in the car on the way home and slept through me carrying her into the house, the alarm going off, Dutch licking her face, me pulling her out of her carseat, carrying her up the stairs and putting her in bed...then she slept for an hour in her bed. VERY out of character for Haven. On Thursday, she slept in one of her teacher's arms for 45 minutes - again, that's not normal for Haven.

I definitely didn't miss my calling to be a teacher, but I would be willing to do it again...for one week! :)
Tuesday:
Thursday:
Can you see the exhaustion?

No comments: