Benton and I were able to take an amazing trip the first week in January. We took off to Beaver Creek, Colorado, just the two of us.
We left on Tuesday evening, Benton skied Wednesday, snowboarded Thursday, and switched back to skis on Friday, then we headed home Saturday night. Benton grew up skiing, then switched to boarding in high school. He decided to ski this trip, but after a day of that he was having nostalgia for boarding, so thought he would snowboard the last two days. Well, that was short-lived. He boarded for a full morning, took a hard fall (called me and told me he thought his kidney exploded, he broke his tailbone, etc.), took the afternoon off, and skied again on Friday. Unfortunately, I missed the fall, but Benton was walking funny and awfully whiny about it. I thought he was being a big baby (xo Babe!) until about 5 days later when the worst and largest bruise I have ever seen in my life finally made it's debut. I should have taken a picture, but I wouldn't want to post his derriere on the internet.
As for me, I wandered the village on Wednesday, got a massage on Thursday morning, toured the town and a few condos/houses with my parent's realtor in the afternoon (Benton was able to join me after his tumble), got a facial on Friday morning, and spent the afternoon in Bachelor Gulch. It was as relaxing as it sounds - ah.mazing!
While it is always hard to leave this sweet face, we knew she was in good hands, it is so great to get to spend some time just the two of us. And during this season of life - with Haven, one full-time job, one part-time job, and school - that time is precious and much needed!
This was too cute. When Benton and I were packing, Dutch put a toy in my suitcase and a bone in Benton's. The bone made the trip with us.

Benton approaching the lift. This pic was taken from our room. Our hotel's claim to fame is they are like 8ft from the ski lift, which is apparently the closest hotel to a ski lift in the world.
We ate a lot of great food while we were there. On Wednesday night, we took a sled up to Beano's cabin for dinner. The food was great and the atmosphere was better. I'm not gonna lie though, I was a little disappointed with the "sled," but I guess I had unrealistic expectations. I was totally picturing the little white sled from one of Haven's Little People Christmas scenes, and it was a snowcat pulling a giant (not pretty) sled that held 20ish (maybe more?) people. The ride up was FREEZING. We rode facing forward because I tend to get nauseous riding backwards in anything, but you get snow in your face the whole time facing forward. I realize I'm not making it sound glamorous, but we had so much fun and laughed the whole way.
Our transport
My photography skills at their finest...
The ride down wasn't as cold. We learned our lesson and rode backwards, and I think the wine helped make it a little warmer :)
I met Benton for lunch on Friday at the Ritz and made him stop for a picture before he went back up. He was as annoyed about it as he looks :)

On Saturday, we parked ourselves in the warm, comfy chairs in the Hyatt all day and people watched. The ski school uses the gondola right out the window, so we were ready to go home and see Haven after watching those little munchkins all day. That will be her in no time, if only Grammy and Grandpa will buy her a house in BC...


1 comment:
Sounds like fun! See you all soon!
Post a Comment