The end of January was not a friend to us. Most of our activities ceased for a couple of weeks around Christmas, but right after the new year we went to church on Sunday morning and MOPS the following day so Haven was thrust back into the germs. Haven's runny nose started while Benton and I were in Beaver Creek and continued for weeks. She started coughing the week of MLK, so I finally called the doctor's office on Saturday morning to see if there was anything we could do since she seemed to be getting worse. We gave her some OTC meds, but they didn't seem to help her feel better and by Sunday she was running a fever.
How pathetic is that rosy face?

I didn't want to take her into the doctor because she hates it so much and I was sure they would tell me "it was viral and it just has to run it's course," so we waited it out. By Tuesday, I decided we better go ahead and go to the doctor because her fever had been on and off for almost three days. I called in the morning and made an appointment for the afternoon, but she ate a great lunch and was acting normal, so I called and cancelled at 1:30.
"Don't take me to the doctor, look, I'm all better!"
Three hours later (when they stop answering the phones), she had the worst fever she had had. Ugh - mom of the year award :( I decided no matter what, we were going to the doctor on Wednesday. We went late afternoon and she was diagnosed with an ear infection and given her first prescription. The weekend was rocky, but she finally seemed to be feeling better by the end and the fevers had subsided. We went to the grocery store on Monday and it was super crowded, which I thought was odd, but realized everyone was probably getting ready early for the Super Bowl parties. I was wrong. Apparently, they were all gearing up for the weather and they were smart! We got snowed/iced in starting Tuesday, February 1. At this point, we had been home since Sunday, January 23rd and had some serious cabin fever!
So, we stayed home (again) Tuesday and Wednesday, but by Thursday we needed a change of scenery, so Benton drove us up to Grammy's "on his way" to work. Thursday night as I was taking Haven's clothes off for Grammy to give her a bath I noticed her skin looked splotchy. It wasn't too severe, but Grammy mentioned it might be the Amoxicillin and we soon found out she was correct. By Friday morning, Haven had a severe head to toe rash, so Benton drove us up to the doctor and Dr. Curtis diagnosed Haven with an allergy to Penicillin and a (worse) double ear infection. Poor baby Haven! Thankfully, she didn't seem to be bothered by her ears or the rash and after picking up her medicine, we did what all good parents should and took our child with a double ear infection out to play in the snow.
On the bright side, Haven did GREAT at the doctor's office (both times) and she has learned to say "good girl" from blowing her nose and taking her medicine.
On the not-so-bright side, a week of letting her nap on us rather than in her bed because she was so pathetic with her fevers, has totally ruined her. It's amazing that one week can do so much damage!


No comments:
Post a Comment